We thought it was time to do an in-depth evaluation of all the non-dairy milk options out there, as there are so many new ones, and while the demand is increasing worldwide there are some negatives, both health-wise and environmentally.
- 80% of the world's almonds are grown in drought-stricken California, where the main issues associated with production are high water use and high pesticide use
- Fungicides and insecticides are commonly used on almond trees when they are in flower and are very harmful to bees, who are essential to the pollination of Almond trees
- The majority of Almond trees require cross-pollination, when the bee travels from one tree to another and pollinates the almond blossom, the fertilized flower will then become an almond
- Bees pollinate approximately $15 billion worth of crops annually. New data shows that bees are dying in record numbers in the US and Brazil, with 40% of bee colonies dying in 2018.
- Soya beans are often farmed on large scale deforested areas particularly, in the Amazon and Central Americas
- The main ingredient found in Soya is isoflavones, which act like estrogen in the body. It is known that estrogen increases the risk of Breast Cancer
- 90% of Soya beans grown in the USA have been genetically modified
- Most Soya bean crops have been sprayed with Glyphosate which is a known carcinogen
- Is suitable for Keto and Paleo diets as it is rich in oils and high in calories and saturated fats
- Is naturally lactose-free, rich in vitamins and fiber
- Coconut milk tends to curdle and separate, and doesn’t mix well with coffee
- The flavor balance is strong, it overwhelms the flavor of the coffee
Here at RAW, we have made the decision to switch to a beautiful new Oat milk. It is far superior in taste to the other options, blends nicely with the coffee, and has a lovely, silky texture. We know change is sometimes hard, so we thought we might also share with you some facts that we considered, other than the superior taste when we made our decision:
- Is the best choice for the environment (including the health of bee colonies and the earth's water)
- Is 100% natural and made from Oats
- Suitable for Vegans, Vegetarians, and people with nut allergies
- Does not contain any preservatives, sugar or stabilizers
- Contains the same amount of calcium as dairy milk
- 12 months ambient storage once opened refrigerate and consume within 7 days
- It does not separate when heated and allows the flavors of the coffee to come through; best-tasting option!
BETTER FOR YOUR COFFEE, BETTER FOR THE PLANET
For more info check out The Goods Collective & Co.